“As a hospice volunteer, I receive the most heartfelt experience by listening, giving the gift of time, compassion, a hug and holding the hand of someone during an important time of their life.” – Patti, Four Tides Hospice Society Volunteer
Support hospice care in the qathet Region. Volunteers are the very heart of our services. Our volunteers come to us with a variety of background and life experiences which they generously contribute to supporting the clients we serve.
We have opportunities for volunteering directly with clients as one-on-one Volunteer Visitors as well as project-based volunteer opportunities in the areas of group supports, outreach, fundraising and administration.
Volunteer Visitors work with patients and families in their homes, long-term care settings, and in hospital. Volunteers provide a listening ear, companionship, and grief support. Volunteer Visitors also provide vigils for those in the last 72 hours of life. They are patient, compassionate, non-judgemental and are good at listening. Volunteer Visitors are carefully screened in order to maintain an excellent standard of care. As volunteers who work directly with patients and families they are required to complete the steps below.
- Application indicating your interest in volunteering, including references. Download the form and either fill it in electronically, save it and email it to us, OR print, complete and mail (mailing address is on the form).
- Clear criminal record check. All volunteers must get a criminal record check. Online applications are free. Click here to access the request form online. Use the access code: U6FFBD6EG4. In-person applications at the local RCMP station are $28. Use Party ID#: 1618534 and pay the $28 fee.
- 28-hour training program (offered 1 – 2xs per year)
- Interview with the Client and Volunteer Coordinator
- Attend monthly volunteer meetings to enhance skills and learn from others
- Yearly flu vaccination (or option of wearing a mask with clients)
- Oath of confidentiality
Group Support Volunteers:
Group Support Volunteers attend bereavement and music therapy groups to offer tea, engage with participants and provide other supports as needed
Outreach Volunteers attend events such as festivals, fairs and markets on behalf of hospice to share resources and provide information on services to attendees
Fundraising Volunteers support various fundraising activities undertaken by the society.
Administration Volunteers provide administrative supports with such things as preparation of workshop materials, support with mailing campaigns and support with event setup.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please contact email@example.com or call 604 223 7309